Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Shadow Mage and Other Capers


Deck: Golden Jester

I've said it before, but this deck can make for some of the most insane matches you can possibly imagine. The game started off normal enough. A typical mech mage against me. But everything went utterly CRAZY when Lorewalker Cho popped out of a Piloted Shredder. Rather than kill him, the mage let him live. I decided, like I usually do when Cho appears, to just throw caution to the wind and let the cards fly. I casted Mind Vision three times—twice in my hand, and another time because I stole one in his hand. I ended up getting a repair bot and a polymorph, and something else I can't remember.
The next turn, the mage used 3 or 4 mind visions again... and I realized I had made an enormous mistake. In my hand was a Mind Control, a Shadow Word: Death, and a Shadowform, and he was taking all of them that he wanted. And then the madness began: He used Shadowform! I have never seen a shadowformed mage before, and it's pretty scary. Especially since he basically got a perfect upgrade for his fireblast. Luckily, that left me with two.
Eventually, I copied Lorewalker Cho just to cheese him off and start making him waste cards because his hand was full of Mind Visions. He killed both of them, and then we could properly begin our duel. I used Shadowform twice, finally getting to see what happened when the hero power was upgraded to 3 damage instead of 2. It gets a new icon and name! It's called Mind Shatter, and you can see in the screenshot what it looks like.
He realized what using it twice did, so he used it himself, and then everything went crazy. Neither of us could keep minions on the board. 3 damage is so much for only 2 mana.
Anyway, the battle went forward, and he slowly inched ahead. We both ended up using our mind controls (him on my Light Well, which was pretty stinking funny), and unfortunately, he had stolen 3 Shadow Word: Deaths just like I did. I hadn't been planning on him having so many, so I lost some good minions.
It was a heck of a long match. We finally ran out of cards. My last one was Sneed's Shredder, and when it died, out popped none other than Elite Tauren Chieftain! I had never seen him before, much less in normal, not-gold colors. He was pretty much worthless, unfortunately. Just a 5/5 on the board. But it was funny anyway.
The mage eventually pulled ahead and stayed ahead. All I had to defend myself was a Mind Control and two Shadow Word: Deaths, and none of his minions had higher than 4 health. In the end, I just wasted my Mind Control on the Nerubian that he popped out of his egg, and I only had 4 life left. He finished me by playing a mech and a Blastmage. Oh well! It gave me a ton of experience, so I can't complain. And boy, did that game keep me on my toes!


No comments:

Post a Comment